As Southeastern Michigan's transit provider, SMART is committed to our region and the environment in which we all work, live, and play. We strive to explore all options available to us toward reducing our carbon footprint at every level within the authority.
- In 2010, SMART introduced, the first of its kind in the region, hybrid-electric articulated buses to its fleet, which reduces greenhouse gases by 30% and increases fuel economy by approximately 40%.
- Each SMART bus has the potential to eliminate 60 cars from the road.
- SMART annually recycles 600 tires, 600 gallons of anti-freeze and 28,890 gallons of oil. Emission systems at each of our garages have been upgraded to capture fumes from buses being serviced.
- Facility updates have included new high-efficiency replacement lighting at all the terminals and in the course of general maintenance of our terminals, we strive to utilize sustainable materials whenever possible.
SMART works with employers throughout the tri-county area to get employees a ride to work. As 70% of our riders are using SMART to get to and from work, these programs are vital to the economic recovery of the region.
- The Get-A-Job, Get-A-Ride program provides a 31 day pass to employees in the first 30-days of their employment.
- Through TransitChek®, SMART works with companies who wish to provide some or all of their employee's transportation costs with pre-tax dollars.
SMART was able to capture ARRA funding to purchase some new technology that will serve to improve the commute for our riders every day.
- New Fare Boxes: Updated fareboxes allow customers to pay with $1, $5, and $10 bills and receive electronic change cards when customers do not have exact change.
- Purchase of Alternative Fuel Buses: New hybrid buses are being tested prior to a fleet-wide replacement of Fixed Route coaches. Utilizing alternative fuel coaches will ensure SMART's commitment to environment quality.
- Intelligent Transportation System Enhancements (ITS): An upgrade to SMART’s current ITS system will improve communication options for our customers to receive realtime information.
- Automatic Vehicle Location/Computer Aided Dispatch System (AVL/CAD): An AVL/CAD system upgrade monitors and tracks the fleet of SMART buses using satellite system and integrates the following technologies.
- Real Time Arrival Information Systems: The new AVL system will enable SMART to notify passengers of the next bus arrival via electronic signage at key stops. Passengers can also track the location of SMART buses on their hand-held PDA and mobile devices.
- Digital Voice Announcers and Automatic Destination Signs: New signs will automatically change by vehicle location via the AVL system and include digital voice announcers and automated passenger counters.