WE CARE ABOUT YOU! The safety and security of our passengers is our top priority at SMART. It is our mission to provide to our customers with the safest and most dependable transportation possible. Not only is taking the bus one of the safest ways to travel, SMART is working to make our system safer and more secure for you, our employees and the rest of the region.
From our terminals to our bus stops, safety is first and foremost at every level of our operation. Every SMART driver has received 250 hours of instruction, including 200 hours of on-the-road training. Each bus is inspected daily, twice before being put into service; once by our maintenance staff, and again by the driver of that vehicle. Routine preventative maintenance checks are performed on each bus every 3,000 miles.
Every SMART bus is equipped with a two-way radio and vehicle locator system. In the event of any emergency, the operator can call for assistance immediately. SMART's dispatch is in constant contact with vehicles on the road as well as with SMART Road Supervisors, who are ready to assist when required.
Staying Safe! Here are a few tips to help you use the bus system safely.
- Plan your trip. Know your route and transfer point and time.
- SMART buses are designed to accommodate standing customers. If there is no seating room available, hold onto the handles.
- As the bus approaches, please remain back from the boarding area until the bus has come to a complete stop and passengers have de-boarded. Have your fare or pass ready.
- When boarding, watch your step. Most customer accidents happen while boarding or de-boarding.
- Pay your fare, move away from the door and take a seat.
- If your bus has standing room only, find a spot where you can grasp a hand rail.
- You must be behind the yellow standee line anytime the bus is in motion.
Be a Vigilant Rider.
Be aware of your surroundings as you wait for your bus. If you observe suspicious activity or notice an unattended package either on your bus or in one of our bus shelters, please alert your bus driver immediately. You may also contact Customer Service