Your Bike Rides for Free on SMART
All SMART Fixed Route buses are equipped with easy-to-use bike racks that can quickly secures up to two bicycles.
Please know that the cyclist, not the coach operator, is responsible for all aspects of placing, securing, and removing your bicycle. Coach Operators are familiar with the use of the bike racks; however, they cannot physically assist riders with the placing of bicycles on the racks.
SMART is not responsible for loss or damage to personal property such as bikes, accessories and other equipment.
When not in use, the bike rack folds up against the front of the bus.
The following directions are printed on the bike rack to assist riders:
- Pull handle up to release and lower rack
- Place your bike on the rack
- Pull hook out and over tire
- Pull handle to fold rack
Pull Handle up to release and lower rack
Lower the rack before placing the bike upon the rack. Squeeze the silver release lever by pulling the silver handle upward, and then gently lower the rack to the horizontal position.
Place your bike on the rack
Place your bike on the rack in the location closest to the bus with the front wheel and the handlebars towards the curb. If a bike is already on the rack, the front wheel and handlebars should be facing street side, away from the curb.
Pull hook out and over tire
Pull out the curved spring-loaded swingarm, lift up over the front tire and place the hook as close as possible to the bicycle’s head tube. Now that the bike is secure please enter the bus.
Upon exiting the bus, be sure to inform the coach operator that you will be removing your bike from the rack.
Remove the bike by first lifting the hook and swinging the spring-loaded swingarm back down to the original position. Lift the bike up off the rack.
Pull handle out to fold rack
If no other bikes are on the rack, be sure to fold the rack back up to the upright, vertical position.
Step to the curb and wait for the bus to pull away.
- When loading and unloading maintain as much eye contact with the operator as possible
- Remove or secure water bottles, pumps or any loose items that might fall off
- Be sure to load and unload bikes toward the curb. Do not expose yourself to traffic when loading and unloading
- When deboarding the coach please remind the operator you are going to be removing your bike from the rack
- Avoid kneeling or squatting out of the operator’s line of sight
- Wait until the bus moves away before riding your bike
- There is no additional fare for bikes
- The rack will NOT accommodate tandems, tricycles, or more recumbents
- SMART Connector Buses are NOT equipped with bike racks
- Each bus carries two bikes at a time on a first-come first-serve basis. Bikes are NOT allowed inside the bus at any time
- The driver cannot get off the bus to assist you, but he or she can give you instructions
- Bikes in the racks do not touch other bikes, the bus or other vehicles
- Bikes are transported at the owner’s risk
- Bikes may not be locked on the rack
- Cyclists must be able to load and unload their bikes without assistance
- SMART is not responsible for bikes that are stolen, left on racks or damaged due to improper loading